Ira Mcdonald x10962 imcdonal at eso.mc.xerox.com
Fri Oct 17 08:25:08 EDT 1997

Hi Bob,

Good catch.  Tom Hastings and I also found that some "text"
attributes (like xxx-state-message) were being erroneously
conveyed in strict US-ASCII while we were working through
issues around the simplifications for localization that you
(Bob) proposed during Wednesday afternoon's IPP telecon.

I agree that we should either remove the Event Notification
content from the spec OR fix it to use IPP standard encoding
format.  Note however, that doing reverse HTTP (from a
server TO a client) for notification is not a trivial
burden for clients to absorb.

We certainly have to fix it or remove it from IPP/1.0.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)