IPP>MOD Concern about Event Notification Content

IPP>MOD Concern about Event Notification Content

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Fri Oct 17 17:50:42 EDT 1997

Jay,

I think that you have raised some excellent points.  While I agree with
Carl-Uno that notification is important, the model document currently
has an incomplete solution which cannot be made complete with a few
small tweaks at the last minute.  I do not think it is worth delaying
IPP a few more months to get notification correct and I don't want to
leave the existing wording in place.

The current proposal has several problems:

1) the content is specified in yet another protocol format. We
   don't need that.  It just allows us to have two protocols
   to solve each problem in.

2) the target schemes and their uses are not well thought out:

   ftp: I don't think that ftp appending-to-a-file is useful for a client.
        What on the client is supposed to monitor this and clean up
        the file when it gets too big.

   http: this presumes a client http server or some other mechanism we
         haven't thought through.  Using application/ipp with a new
         "notify" operation makes the most sense in this case.  But
         we haven't thought through how a client would plug into this
         or how a client listens to HTTP.

   mailto: this could be supported with free form text having certain
         suggested attribute values. It's not the most useful
         notification method, but it would work for human consumption.

Notification adds up to a lot of good, but incomplete ideas. They don't
belong in a standard that we will (hopefully) live with for many years.

Perhaps mailto with an undefined human readable format is worth
supporting in order to have notification, but even that may constrain
us more in the future than we want.  But if the group consensus is that
we shouldn't toss out all notification from version 1.0, I could live
with just mailto and free-form unspecified text.  All the rest would
take a lot more time to resolve and I don't think we have the time.

Bob Herriot