don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Wed Oct 22 08:23:15 EDT 1997

Tom Hastings said:

>How about if we just clarify the conformance section that talks about
>implementation of the attribute syntaxes.  Then we won't be adding any
>more SHALLs, but we will be clarifying that the ranges of each syntax
>is required?  Then it will be clear that 'text' attributes are 4095 octets
>and 'name' are 255 octets.  (So far there are no 'text' attributes that
>a client can supply and only 3 'name' attributes: "document-name",
>"job-name", and "job-originating-user".)   For those attributes that
>can only be returned, if an implementation has a lower limit, who is to
>know?
>
>The current text is:
>
>5.2.5    Attribute Syntaxes
>A Printer SHALL be able to accept any of the attribute syntaxes defined in
>Section 4.1 in any operation in which a client may supply attributes.
>Furthermore, a Printer SHALL return attributes to the client in operation
>
>I propose that we clarify it as:
>
>5.2.5    Attribute Syntaxes
>A Printer SHALL be able to accept any of the attribute syntaxes defined in
>Section 4.1, including their full range, in any operation in which a
client
>may supply attributes.  Furthermore, a Printer SHALL return attributes to
>the client in operation responses that conform to the syntax specified in
>Section 4.1, including their full range if supplied previously by a
client.

I like this much better but I have one question -- shouldn't clients have
to follow the same rule for anything that come from the IPP printer, i.e.
you bomb out if the job-uri is really long?

Don

* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
* Manager, Strategic Alliances and Standards *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *