IPP> Re: WG feedback: I-Ds in HTML, etc.

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Oct 27 13:47:51 EST 1997

At 11:09 PM 10/26/97 PST, Keith Moore wrote:
>In a couple of weeks, IESG is having a face-to-face meeting.
>One of the things we've agreed to discuss is the possibility of
>allowing Internet-Draft submissions in HTML.
>
>I've done a lot of carping about WGs not doing things the
>Traditional IETF Way (tm) -- like not having all working documents
>published as plain ascii I-Ds, or not having ftp accessible
>mail archives with the messages available in pure RFC 822 format.
>
>But since I know that various WGs have been experimenting with
>ways of keeping track of issues and documents using the web
>or other tools, I'd like to know of any techniques that you
>have found especially useful -- things we might want to encourage
>on a wider basis.
>
>And if there are needless encumberances in our mechanisms or
>processes, we need to hear that also.  (IESG cannot change the
>process rules but it might be able to smooth out difficulties
>with the I-D submission process, interactions with the RFC
>Editor, or the IESG itself.)
>
>Thanks!
>
>Keith

Speaking for the IPP group, we have found the following complementary
tools very useful:

1) Having a web site with pointers to all the latest working documents and
other back-up material, which is stored on our FTP site.

2) To also store documents in PDF format, which can show mark-ups from
previous versions (generated from WinWord) and contain line numbers for
easier referencing.

Carl-Uno Manros
Co-chair IPP WG

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com