IPP> Processing Algorithm

Jay Martin jkm at underscore.com
Fri Nov 21 10:21:41 EST 1997

--------------99B48168D1A685467C47661C

I think Zhi-Hong has raised a very valid concern here, one that we
should address in a clean and unambiguous manner within IPP.

If IPP allows multiple posts (requests) in which the client is
expecting to receive multiple responses, then IPP should be
clearly defined to do one (and only one) of the following:

  a) Ensure the order of responses is *exactly* in the same
     order as the requests, or

  b) Define and force mandatory usage of a client-specified
     transaction id (included as part of a request) that the
     server attaches to all responses.  The transaction id
     would be considered completely opaque to the server (ie,
     no semantic meaning whatsoever).

If we wish to provide maximum performance potential, then the
second choice would be the second (b) option.  Adding such a
transaction id wouldn't add that much "baggage" to the protocol.

	...jay

--  JK Martin               |  Email:   jkm at underscore.com          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
--------------99B48168D1A685467C47661C