IPP>MOD add another issue [encoding of CompoundValue]

IPP>MOD add another issue [encoding of CompoundValue]

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Tue Nov 25 21:54:45 EST 1997

I will try to explain the issue by giving more detail.

The compoundValue has an integer value which specifies the number of
following values that compose the compound value.  There are two
obvious ways to implement compoundValue in a general way:

   1) recurse looking for additional values until the correct number
      is found or until a non-null attribute name is found or a delimiter
      tag is found. The latter two conditions are errors. This method
      works, but is tricky the "nested" values are really at the same
      level as other values in the protocol.

   2) continue picking up values, but make a note that a compoundValue
      is being built.  In this case, there must be a check when a
      non-null name is encountered, and when a delimiter tag is found
      for the error of a compoundValue is still being built.
      At first glance, this seems simpler, but it is easy to forget the
      checks mentioned above.

Although compoundValue can be made to work, its complexity will lead to
bugs.  Also its type is determined by looking at all of the tags of
values that it contains.  This suggests that we should look for a
simpler-to-implement option.

The most obvious solution is to add two new types text-language and
name-language which are the langauge constrained versions of text and
name. Attributes with text and name values could also have a value of
type text-language or name-language.  Tom and others have suggested
that language and text/name be separated by a single-quote character.
It would work, but is not in the spirit of the current protocol which
uses lengths instead of delimiting characters. So I suggest the value
be <language length> <language string> <text/name string>.  The length
of the text/name string is length of the value minus ( language-length
+ 2).

This solution is easier to parse because the components are contained
with a single value.

If we believe that tags are in short supply and that we don't want to
allocate two values for such obscure types, we could create a tag type
of "typed-octets" where the first byte of the value contains the
sub-tag value which in our case would be either text-language or
name-language. We could also have 2 bytes for the sub-tag rather than
1.