IPP> A free IPP test suite to be available!

Jay Martin jkm at underscore.com
Sun Dec 7 16:55:22 EST 1997

Thanks to the folks who replied (both publicly and privately)
to my original note on this topic.  For the record, I have
included essential parts of those responses to this message
for all to read.

Yeah, I didn't actually think the Genoa test suite would be FREE.

What bothers me is that the IPP group--a fully functioning working
group of the IETF--actually allowed a SINGLE vendor to stand up in
a face-to-face IPP meeting and talk business.  Not generic business,
mind you, but business FOR THAT VENDOR ONLY.

If the PWG desires to send out the equivalent of a "Request For
Quotation" or whatever, then fine.  Do that.  (And, btw, I think
that's a *great* idea for getting an IPP test suite going.)

However, to give very precious meeting time to a SINGLE VENDOR
is wholely and totally UNACCEPTABLE.  The fact that Genoa is
virtually ABSENT from ongoing PWG activities (of any kind) makes
the situation even more distasteful.

Even worse was having Genoa get up and pitch their (*potential*)
product, yet the topic was not on the agenda posted for the meeting.
I'll bet Chris Wellens of IWL would have liked to have had the chance
to make a similar pitch.  As a fellow host-based software vendor,
even I would have liked to have been involved in such an exploratory
meeting to better understand potential future business opportunities,
even if test suites are not our specific bread-and-butter business.

This kind of preferential treatment of a single vendor is NOT
something the PWG should be doing, particularly when that vendor
has never taken the time to involve itself with one or more of
the many ongoing PWG projects on the table (past or present).

	...jay

PS: For those unable to attend the IPP meeting, Bob Herriot provided
    some very useful information.  At least this will serve to level
    the playing field a bit.

--  JK Martin               |  Email:   jkm at underscore.com          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --