IPP> Area Directors' comments on IPP

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Sun Dec 7 21:29:18 EST 1997

Hi all,

I had a short chat with Harald and Keith this evening (Sunday) about a
couple of IPP subjects:

1) Support for SSL3 in TLS. Harald and Keith wanted to make sure that our
specs say that we MUST support the mandatory features that are minimum
requirements for TLS, such as the cypher suite. They seemed a bit uncertain
whether it was wise to also require mandatory support for SSL3 (due to the
RSA licencing). Maybe we should change that to a strong recommendation
rather than the conditional SHALL that we now have? I think that as the TLS
minimum alone really doesn't do the job, so we need to keep at least that
recommendation in the IPP spec. I expect this to come up during the IPP
meeting on Wednesday, so stay tuned.

2) Alignment with Harald's I-D on IANA registration procedures
<draft-iesg-iana-considerations-01.txt>. We should be in reasonable shape
here already, as Harald said that he had actually used our IPP Model
document as partial input for his I-D on the subject. There is no formal
requirement to adhere to Harald's I-D at this stage.

Regards,

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com