IPP> Re: Area Directors' comments on IPP

Turner, Randy rturner at sharplabs.com
Mon Dec 8 23:33:45 EST 1997

The problem with not mentioning SSL3 as allowable in our
specification is that, until TLS becomes available, there will
be no interoperable implementations of IPP for IPP servers
implemented as CGI behind generic HTTP servers.

And thats assuming that all the server installed base upgrade
when these TLS servers become available (which is unlikely).
I'm open to other wording in the spec, but we need to
document that SSL3 servers CAN interoperate with clients
that implement TLS, and vice versa.

And I totally agree that we need to try to meet our security
requirements without mandating encumbered security
mechanisms. To this end, some combination MD5,
Diffie-Hellman, and Triple-DES should give us a reasonable
level of security.

I don't feel that these technologies place an undue
burden on simple IPP services since we have agreed that
"secure" IPP clients and servers are optional.

Randy