Carl Kugler ckugler at bldvmb.rscs
Wed Dec 10 18:08:26 EST 1997

I must admit I was "thinking out loud" about this, trying to understand it. Also, I'm relatively new to
IPP and I missed the exchange you refer to in #1;  could you point me to it in the archives so I can
review it?

I didn't mean to suggest removing the Validate-Job operation;  just the words in the model document
that say "clients SHOULD use the Validate-Job operation before sending large documents to be printed,
in order to validate whether the IPP Printer will accept the job or not".  I thought that IF servers
returned error status without waiting to receive the document data, and IF clients monitored for error
status while transmitting the request, it might be more efficient to just send the Print-Job and avoid
the round trip for the Validate-Job.  There's also a little window there between the Validate and the
Print during which it's possible that conditions could change on the Printer.

If the IPP operation and attributes were sent in a separate HTTP "chunk" before the document data,
would that make it easier for the server to return a response before receiving the entire HTTP
request?  I guess that's really an HTTP question, or a web server implementation question.

Finally, after peeking for the first time at Section 8.2, Message Transmission Requirements, in
INTERNET-DRAFT HTTP/1.1 Friday, November 21, 1997, at
 http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-01.txt, I wish to withdraw my
suggestion that IPP make use of the 100-Continue response to notify the client that a PrintJob has been
validated, continue sending document data.

    -Carl

http://www.pwg.org/hypermail/ipp/2889.html