IPP> Fonts, Job Redirection, and Protocol

Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Dec 11 12:58:24 EST 1997

At 16:40 12/10/1997 PST, Bill Hastings wrote:
>I'm fairly new to IPP so please excuse any "dumb" questions.
>

>1) How can a client determine what fonts are available (built-in) in a
>PostScript Printer?

While we said that fonts were outside the scope of IPP V1.0, we could
add it using the registration mechanism after V1.0 is approved.

Now that we have the "document-format" as an input parameter to the
Get-Attributes operation, it would be very useful to have a
Printer Description attribute of "font-supported".  Then the proper
PostScript fonts could be returned when the "document-format" input
parameter was 'application/postscript' and would be the PCL fonts
when the input parameter was 'application/vnd.hp-PCL' would return
the PCL fonts.  Presumably the attribute syntax would be:

     font-supported (1setOf name)

Such an attribute would be a good candidate to propose to the PWG as
an attribute for registration as an extension following the procedures
for registering extensions in the Model document.

ISSUES:

We could even make it a Job Template attribute, like the current
"orientation" attribute which is only for document formats, like
'text/plain' that don't embed the font specification in the document
data.  Such an attribute may be more important for Asian countries where
the document format is: 'text/plain; charset=utf-8' or
'text/plain; charset=ISO-10646-ucs-2' (i.e., Unicode)
and they want to select a particular font.

snip...