Ira Mcdonald x10962 imcdonal at eso.mc.xerox.com
Sat Dec 20 10:43:00 EST 1997

Hi Harald and Keith,

The irony that I'm now cast as an apologist for leaving out security
in networks has given me wonderful amusement for the last three days.

Both here at Xerox and in the past 24 years, I have done significant
design and development work on security protocols and standards.  I
do NOT advocate leaving out security in IPP.

By a logic that escapes me entirely, it has been collectively deemed
'cheaper' for all IPP clients to implement TLS, rather than all IPP
printers.  That apparent concensus is heavily weighted by the
backgrounds of the participants.

I capitulate.  Let all IPP clients implement TLS (with the one
mandatory cipher suite, without encumbered technology).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)