Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Jul 7 01:38:23 EDT 1998

At 16:20 7/6/98 PDT, Tom Hastings wrote:
>At 10:49 6/29/98 PDT, Paul Moore wrote:
>>to ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/
>>Describes 7 new operations that MS may be using for IPP1.0
>>
>>We should discuss whther we want to make any of these standard extensions

One further question about Reprint-Job:

For ISO DPA Resubmit-Job, we finally decided that a new copy of the job
should be created and assigned a new job-identifier.  This was so that
accounting would not get confused with a job that was resubmitted several
times.  Also by making a copy, any accounting done using the PWG Job
Monitoring MIB, can be safely done while the job is in the 'completed'
state, even if the job is resubmitted immediately before the accounting
can be gathered for the job just completed, since a new job is created
with a copy of all of the originally submitted attributes.

For the Reprint-Job, we could do the same and require that the IPP object
return a new job-id and make a copy of the job.  On the other hand, since
the user cannot modify the job, a simpler approach to keep the accounting
straight (and reflect the true state of the job), would be to add a Job
Description attribute which is a count
of the number of Reprint-Job operations performed.  This "number-of-reprints"
Job Description attribute would be REQUIRED to be supported, if the IPP
object
supports the Reprint-Job operation.  An accounting application would take
note of the value for the "number-of-reprints" which is normally 0 if
no Reprint-Job operation has been performed.

So we can save the harder ISO DPA Modify-Job and Resubmit-Job operations
which modify the job to later.

Thanks,
Tom