Nick Webb nwebb at auco.com
Tue Oct 6 19:16:04 EDT 1998

>"Identification Required on Fax Messages"
>
>The FCC's rules require that any message sent to a fax machine must
>clearly mark on the first page or on each page of the message:
>
>?    the date and time the transmission is sent;
>?   the identity of the sender; and
>?   the telephone number of the sender or of the sending fax machine.

>From the way I read this, there is an alternative to having a real-time
clock in each fax machine. The rule is that the required time stamp is the
date and time the transmission is *sent* (not received) so this implies the
sender could pass a time stamp with the job rather than the printer
generating one. If the sender is usually a PC then this would be simple as
all PCs have real time clocks. If the required water mark information could
be covered by a usual banner page then why have a real time clock?

One possibility for time of day acquisition in a printer is "network time"
(RFC 867/868 - may be amended by now), however I have no idea how
ubiquitous this is.
Nick Webb
Auco, Inc.
(650) 569 4421