IPP> IPP document set - naming convention(s)

Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Mar 13 18:08:34 EST 1998

At 13:01 03/13/1998 PST, Robert Herriot wrote:
>The current binary encoding assumes that chunking occurs at a lower layer.
>IPP
>could work without chunking, but we thought it was important to avoid the=
 LPD
>problem where the length of a document must be know before sending it.
>
>If I were writing a server for receiving IPP over a raw socket, I would
prefer
>not to have chunking at a lower layer because I would have to implement a
>lower
>layer to put the chunks back together for the upper layer. I would prefer=
>read the encoded attributes directly off the socket and chunk only the
>document
>data. =20
>
>Therefore I would end up with a slightly difference encoding for raw=
 sockets
>than for HTTP.

In reviewing the various host-to-device protocols at the meeting,
TIPSI and CPAP both have a separate channel for the data.  So the
control stuff goes over and comes back over a bi-directional
control TCP/IP channel and the data goes over the separate data channel.

The control channel would NOT need to be chunked, I would think.

The data channel could just be a simple TCP/IP socket, so it wouldn't need
chunking either.  For example, in CPAP, the device returns the port for
the data channel, and the host opens it and send raw data without headers
of any kind and then closes the channel at the end of the document
(which corresponds to the end of the data for a Print-Job or=20
Send-Document IPP operation).

Comments?

Tom