Turner, Randy rturner at sharplabs.com
Sun Mar 22 17:56:06 EST 1998

There two questions that have yet to be answered.

You've repeatedly stated that SNMPv3 is not intended for "very many
notification clients". I would like to hear a technical analysis of why
you think this is the case.

Also, I think its VERY unrealistic that an embedded device will have to
manage "several hundred" client notification requests. If every client
can specify a totally different object set to be sent along with each
notification, then I don't think this is realistic for embedded devices.
If you have a defined trap/notification, with a specific list of objects
that are returned, then a notification originator only has to keep track
of transport domains and addresses, not every combination of object sets
that "possibly hundreds of notification clients" might want to know
about.

I don't think SNMPv3 is heavyweight. It's designed be implemented in
everything from $300 managed 100Mbit hubs, all the way to enterprise ATM
switches. And I think whatever solution we come up with will have to
have the capability to support a distributed event notification system,
similar to the way SENSE and other distributed notification mechanisms
remove the burden from individual embedded printers from having to keep
up with the entire world of notifications.

Randy