Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Apr 6 20:44:43 EDT 1998

Tom

At 16:24 04/06/1998 PDT, Carl Kugler wrote:
>Tom Hastings wrote:
>>At 14:28 04/06/1998 PDT, Carl Kugler wrote:
>>>Thanks, Bob, I think I get it now.
>>>
>>>Maybe your answer also provides a clue to my next question:
>>>
>>>If attributes-charset and attributes-natural-language Job Description
>>>Attributes are MANDATORY according to MOD/4.3, why aren't they shown as
>>>MANDATORY in "Group 3: Job Object Attributes"  under
>>>
>>> Print-Job Response:
>>> Print-URI Response:
>>> Create-Job Response:
>>> Send-Document Response:
>>> Send-URI Response:
>>> Get-Job-Attributes Response:
>>> Get-Jobs Response:
>>>
>>>in MOD/15.3.4.3 "Validate the presence of a single occurrence of required
>>>Operation attributes"?
>>
>>Because "attributes-charset" and "attributes-natural-language" MUST
>>be returned in Group 1 (not Group 3) as shown.
>>
>>See sections 3.1.4.2 Response Operation Attributes and
>>Sections 3.2 Printer Operations under each Xxx Response Group 1.
>>
>>As Bob explained, MANDATORY in the document mostly means that a
>>Server MUST support the attribute.  It is a separate question as to whether
>>the client MUST supply a MANDATORY attribute and whether an IPP object
>>MUST return a MANDATORY attribute.  In some cases, the client MUST
>>supply a MANDATORY attribute and in other cases the client NEED NOT
>>supply the MANDATORY attribute in a request.  Similarly, in some cases,
>>an IPP object MUST supply a MANDATORY attribute and in other cases the IPP
>>object NEED NOT supply the MANDATORY attribute in a response.
>>
>>We tried to avoid using the word MANDATORY and OPTIONAL to mean whether
>>a sender had to supply in a request or a response.  We tried to only
>>use the words MANDATORY and OPTIONAL to mean whether an IPP object
>>had to implement or not.
>>
>>So there are four combinations for attributes in requests, of which only
>>three are possible:
>>
>>              MANDATORY     OPTIONAL  for an IPP object to support
>>
>>MUST supply   we have       we don't have
>>
>>MAY omit      we have       we have
>>

>So, attributes-charset and attributes-natural-language are MANDATORY Job
>Description Attributes (4.3.23 and 4.3.24) only in the sense that a Printer
>must support them.  I.e., it must be able return them if a client requests
>them specifically?

More than that.  An IPP object must accept attributes-charset and
attributes-natural-language as operation attributes and take action as
specified
by the semantics of those operation attributes.

>>Keep those questions coming.  We can always improve the spec and fix
>>bugs that you find.
>>

>>>Could it be that the word MANDATORY has different meanings in these two
>>>sections?
>>
>>See above.
>>

>>> 4.3:  MANDATORY ... attribute[s] MUST be supported by Printer objects.
>>>If it is not indicated as MANDATORY, then it is OPTIONAL
>>>
>>> 15.3.4.3:  MANDATORY attributes [are those] that an IPP object MUST
>>>support and that a client MUST supply
>>
>>I think I see the confusion.  The entire section in 15.3.4.3 is:
>>
>>The following tables list all the attributes for all the operations by
>>attribute group in each request and each response.  The left to right order
>>of the groups is the order that the client supplies the groups as specified
>>in Section 3.3.  The order of the attributes within a group is arbitrary,
>>though the tables below lists the attributes in the following order with
>>the following notation:
>>
>>(M) MANDATORY attributes that an IPP object MUST support and that a
>client
>>MUST supply
>>
>>(M*) MANDATORY attributes that an IPP object MUST support, but that a
>>client may omit in a request or an IPP object may omit in a response
>>
>>(O) OPTIONAL attributes that an IPP object NEED NOT support
>>
>>(O*) OPTIONAL attributes that an IPP object NEED NOT support and a
>client
>>may omit in a request or an IPP object may omit in a response
>>
>>The first line is NOT the definition of MANDATORY, but is explaining
>>the notation (M) which means MANDATORY and that a client MUST supply.
>
>But the context here is a Response, which surely is supplied by a
>Printer, never a client?

I think it would help to write the above separately for requests
and responses which are separate parts of section 15.3.4.3.

>Why aren't the attributes-charset and attributes-natural-language (M*) for
>"Group 3: Job Object Attributes"?

Because they are Group 1 operation attributes in all requests and
all responses.  They just happen to also be copied to the Job object
on create requests.  So a client could request "attributes-charset" and
"attributes-natural-language" job attributes in a Get-Jobs or
Get-Job-Attributes operation and get back the values (in Group 3)
that had been copied to the job object in the create request.

But the "attributes-charset" and "attributes-natural-language" that always
come back in Group 1 in the response to such a request don't have
anything to do with the values that come back in Group 3 in such a
response.  The Group 1 reponse MUST be the same as the requester
supplied in the Get-Jobs Group 1 request, which is independent of what
was supplied (often by some other client) on the create request that
created the Job object in the first place.