Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at usa.xerox.com
Mon Apr 27 07:54:37 EDT 1998

All,
  I do not share most of Randy's concerns.  I see the printer MIB as an
agreed upon standard way of representing a printer.  I believe it is rich
enough to satisfy IPP's  "host to device" needs.  I am not concerned about
circumventing standard SNMP security mechanisms.  There are currently
embedded web servers that also update the MIB objects.  I see three views
into the same data objects.  The three are SNMP, Web Access and IPP.  The
implementers must insure that the model is not corrupted by multiple access
methods.  I see no difference between the "multiple view" scenario and
multiple SNMP managers manipulating the printer object.  I am also not
concerned by the ability for IPP to carry SNMP syntax.  As far as I know
there is nothing in SMI that cannot be represented in IPP.
   The areas that I do have some concerns in is the definition of the
req/resp for the printer MIB access operations.  The other feature I am
concerned with is the overlap of notification methods in SNMP and IPP.  I
have not yet seen if the overlap needs to be addressed.  If the overlap
needs to be addressed how will it be resolved?
Pete