IPP> Using OID access with IPP/SDP

don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Mon Apr 27 23:18:02 EDT 1998

Here's where I agree:

IEEE Std 1284.1 uses the same concept to allow access to MIB objects.  We
including then entire OID string which allow access to any MIB including
private extensionsm MIB 2, etc.  This has worked out very well allowing
using common code in the printer and presenting a single, unified
presentation of printer status and configuration without having to worry
about reconcilling two different name spaces.  Additionally since the OID
decoding code is already in the printer, the implementation was easy and
small -- no need to carry lots of string constants around for comparisons.

Here's where I disagree:

Microsoft and many others need a single protocol to submit jobs and to
manage printers from a server, no matter how the printer is connected:

- Parallel
- Serial
- 1394
- IPX/SPX
- TCP/IP
- AppleTalk

So how do we reconcile the need to submit jobs and manage the printers
using one protocol and what Scott Isaacson said:

SAI> I see SNMP being used to MANAGE the printer.  I do not see using IPP
SAI> to MANAGE the printer.  I see IPP as being a protocol that an end user
SAI> uses (or an application on behalf of an end user) to query the printer
SAI> for characteristics and capabilities that help in requesting options
or
SAI> or formatting the job and then submitting the job and tracking and
SAI> simple management of that job (just query and cancel).

If everyone agrees that IPP should NOT be used to manage the printer, then
we cannot meet the requirement stated above using IPP.  That's why we
called it SDP (Server to Device Protocol) -- it's got to be fully usable
(read and write) so the server can fully understand and control the state
of the printer.

This really isn't hard.  If we are going to meet the requirements then we
have to either:

1) Extend IPP to allow job submission and full management
    and control
2) Document the straightforward mapping of IPP to IEEE Std 1284.1
    which already provides the management and controls features
    needed
3) Create something new.

Are there choices I'm missing?

* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *