Carl-Uno Manros manros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Jun 4 15:05:45 EDT 1998

At 09:39 AM 6/3/98 PDT, Jay Martin wrote:

>For fear of sounding like a broken record, let me once again
>point out that during the initial IPP BOF (San Jose, Dec '96),
>Keith Moore stated (in response to stealthing thru firewalls)
>that if the IPP WG came up with a generally useful and improved
>printing protocol, then the firewall folks would probably not
>have any problem in making whatever (reasonable) accomodations
>for IPP in their products.
>
>Yet, some highly vocal IPP participants insisted on ignoring
>that advice and continued to press for generic stealth capabilities.
>
>This is truly unfortunate.
>
>	...jay

Jay,

in this case you do sound like a broken record. Independently of what
people thought when we started this discussion a long time ago, I do not
think that anybody still firmly believes that a strong feature of our
current design is to stealth through firewalls. Too many people, myself
included, have already warned for such erreneous thinking.

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com