Carl Kugler kugler at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 10 18:12:12 EDT 1998

> From Carl Kugler's response to my message from last week, I realized that
> having
> urls denoting jobs without requiring an extra cgi to serve them is trivial:
> http://ipp.cgi?jobId=2 (as opposed to http://ipp.cgi/2).
>
> It brings a question whether job is not an "artificial" target, since
> usually, a request
> to cancel a job or get job attributes will be served by a cgi representing
> the printer where
> the job was created.
>
> Whether the target (job-uri or printer-uri or printer-uri + job-id) is taken
> out of IPP layer or not,
> it would be more simple to have just one possible kind of target:
> printer-uri, where job-id would
> be considered an operation attribute.

I agree.  But, having job-uri does permit more flexibility in the implementation, for load-balancing, etc.  For example, a Printer could hand off a Job to a different Printer and return a job-uri that actually addresses the new Printer.

> If the target is taken out of IPP layer and will be used only in the
> transport layer, not having job-uri
> as a possible target would probably make addressing possible for other
> transports, e.g.
> mailto:ipp at printingorg.com, where specification of arguments is not allowed
> (according to rfc1738).

The current model lets you do this with job-id.

> Regarding the message below, I don't understand:
> >Another problem is that PRO requires the HTTP Request-URI and the target
> URI (embedded in the application/ipp) to be the same (absolute) URIs, but
> HTTP/1.1 clients aren't allowed to send absolute Request-URIs unless they're
> talking to a proxy.  And proxies rewrite the Request-URI.
>
> In what respect are HTTP/1.1 clients not allowed to send absolute
> Request-URIs? I didn't see a mention of that in RFC2068.

Here's the quote:
"The most common form of Request-URI is that used to identify a resource on an origin server or gateway. In this case the absolute path of the URI MUST be transmitted (see section 3.2.1, abs_path) as the Request-URI...

abs_path is a form of Relative URI (as opposed to Absoluter URI).
If you send an absolute Request-URI to a web server it will probably try to proxy the request, which is not what you want if you're talking to the "origin" server.