IPP> IPP scheme proposal

Randy Turner jrturner at pacifier.com
Wed Jun 17 12:14:06 EDT 1998

The scenario in which the "ipp" scheme appears on the wire is not expected to
actually be used. I believe the logic behind having the IPP server
understand a
"full" IPP URL is based upon the rationale in RFC 2068 for having HTTP servers
be able to accept "full" URLs. Its just in the IPP case, it would be an "IPP"
server, not an "HTTP" server.

Basically, its to not "preclude" the future wherein full URLs might be passed
around. Without this capability, full URL support would require retrofitting
the entire HTTP/IPP deployment space.

Again, this particular scenario for IPP schemes on the wire is only a "server"
requirement in this proposal. Clients are still required to follow HTTP 1.1
guidelines set forth in 2068 (and later drafts). Which means (for now), the
"ipp" scheme would NOT show up on the wire because clients would never send
it.

Randy