Paul Moore paulmo at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 6 13:47:39 EDT 1998

	If I click on an ipp link, my browser or OS should pop up
	a window offering to print something to that printer, display
	the pending jobs in the queue, install a driver for that printer,
	tell me where the printer is and how much it costs to use it, etc.
	Or maybe I can drag some other object and drop it on the
	printer link, which causes it to be printed.  etc.
	Or I drag the printer link to my desktop, which causes an interface
	to that printer to be installed on my system.  Whatever.  The
	point is that just by looking at an ipp: URL, a browser or OS or
	a human being can tell that it's a printer, and make use of that
	information without actually having to talk to the thing.

This has nothing to do with the IPP protocol - these are suggestions as to
what the users experience should be. There are a million and one web links
that when you click on them do things on the client side. I suspect that a
lot of OS vendors are going to do exactly what you describe. A printer URL
will be HTTP://xxxx/printerA (or whatever). This bears no relationship
whatsoever to the URL used by IPP for pumping print over the network - I
doubt that a user will ever see that URL (in a lot of cases it wont be
http://www.acme.com/myprinter (or IPP: or HTTP:....:370). It will be
something like http://www.acme.com/scripts/IPP/submit.pl?pr=myprinter or
some equally memorable string.