Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Jul 9 23:54:13 EDT 1998

I agree that we need to be careful on "function creep".  On the other hand:

1. some of the useful new operations being proposed are also only for
operators, such as PausePrinter and PurgePrinter.

2. More over, a way to disable/disable an IPP Printer from accepting jobs
fits in as an optional operation for use with IPP/1.0, in that there is
already a Printer attribute: "printer-is-accepting" jobs that has no way
to be set true or false in the protocol, even though there is also an IPP/1.0
error status to return if the value is 'false' and a client attempts
to submit a job.

3. Finally, the operations being proposed (PausePrinter) also stop new
jobs from being submitted from an IPP Printer to a device, so also being
able to prevent jobs from being submitted to the IPP Printer is a
natural operation to have.

Tom