Jay Martin jkm at underscore.com
Wed Jul 15 13:40:10 EDT 1998

Paul,

> (Actually I quite like 'printto:' - what do others think).

Glad you brought this up.  If the final resolution of this whole
scheme issue results in something *other* than "http:", then
I'd prefer Keith's suggestion of "print:" as a scheme as opposed
to your "printto:", since the "to" suffix is both unnecessary
and counter-intuitive (given that the PDU can very well contain
requests that are not job submissions).

> Saying that IPP lets me know that its a printer is an excuse for bad design.
> Any UI  that expects people to differentiate by hovering over the link and
> looking at the status bar is broken.

Perhaps you're right that the UI should *not* expect this
"hovering" behavior, but nonetheless it is quite prevalent
from what I've experienced.  That is, I don't think we should
discount the frequency and value of hovering as part of a
positive user experience.

> Nobody is going to put printer URLs on their business cards.

Do you really believe this?  I mean, an aweful lot of IPP
proponents (in the PWG) clearly believe that one of the greatest
values of IPP is its use as a fax-alike mechanism.  I honestly
don't think such a capability is nearly as powerful a potential
as some of these people seem to believe, but there will be some
who actually implement this, IMHO.

	...jay

--  JK Martin               |  Email:   jkm at underscore.com          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --