IPP> ipp: / http: in the UI

Bennett, Joel H Joel.Bennett at usa.xerox.com
Wed Jul 15 14:34:32 EDT 1998

I'm just beginning to get a handle on this, but do most of you envision this
"ipp://printer" or "http://printer:633" or "printo:printer" being handled by
the users web client (ie netscape)?  I had assumed that most companies would
want to develope their own clients, and that in the future users would be
able to choose any company's client they preffered, or even a
free/share-ware solution.

IF you ARE talking about the necesity of developing specialized internet
print clients (as opposed to a java client that loads from a web page or
some-such), then it seems to me that you would want to settle on a scheme
such as "printto:" or "printer:" which would in fact call up a seperate
client.

How are most of you planning on this being implemented?  (do you really want
to trust your printer's interface to the MS/Netscape war?)