IPP> Re: New IPP Scheme

Robert Herriot robert.herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Fri Jul 17 16:40:28 EDT 1998

Comments are below.

At 05:49 AM 7/17/98 , don at lexmark.com wrote:
>I'm confused...
>
>In Bob Herriot's summary of the telecon agreement, he said:
>
>>     job attributes -
>>        job-uri
>>        job-printer-uri
>>    printer attributes -
>>        printer-uri-supported
>>    operation attributes -
>>        job-uri
>>        printer-uri
>>
>>If the scheme of the target URL in a request (i.e. the value of
>>"printer-uri" or "job-uri" operation attribute) is some scheme 'x', other
>>than 'ipp', the behavior of the IPP object is not defined by this
>document.
>>However, it is RECOMMENDED that if an operation on an IPP object creates a
>>new value for any of the above attributes, that attribute has the same
>>scheme 'x'. It is also RECOMMENDED that if an IPP object returns any of
>the
>>seven attributes above in the response, that the IPP object returns those
>>URL values as is, regardless of the scheme of the target URL.
>
>1) In the sentence that starts out "However, it is RECOMMENDED..." what
>does "that attribute has the same scheme 'x'" mean?  Has the same scheme as
>what??

What I meant was that if a Printer receives a Create-Job operation with
"ipp://foo.com/printers/Foo" as the value of the "printer-uri" attribute,
then the Printer creates a "job-uri" attribute with an "ipp" scheme, e.g.
"ipp://foo.com/printers/Foo/123". Likewise, if a Printer receives a
Create-Job operation with "http://foo.com:631/printers/Foo" as the value of
the "printer-uri" attribute, then the Printer creates a "job-uri" attribute
with an "http" scheme, e.g. "http://foo.com:631/printers/Foo/123".

>2) The last sentence says "...any of the seven attributes above..."  Yet
>there are only five attributes listed above.  I don't think there are
>attributes missing so should that be "...any of the five attributes
>above..."????

I guess I can't count.

>3) What does "as is" later in the same sentence mean?

If you are referring to the user interface paragraph, I was trying to say
that the software doesn't change a URL in any way.  If a user can see a URL,
it will be the same as the one passed in one of the five attributes. That
is, if the attribute value is "ipp://foo.com/printers/Foo", that is what the
user sees, and if the value is "http://foo.com:631/printers/Foo", that is
what the user sees.