Bennett, Joel H Joel.Bennett at usa.xerox.com
Tue Oct 6 17:34:26 EDT 1998

===== SNIP ======
> > The second question concerns the legal issues... "Would the legal
> > requirements of a real-time clock for current fax machines automatically
> > apply to an IPP/IFAX device?"  If this answer is yes, there would exist
> > very strong incentive for a vendor not to build an IPP/IFAX device that
> > does not have a real-time clock.
> >
> > Please let me know if there remains any issues regarding a time stamp.
>
> It would not "automatically" apply since the legality of such a
transaction
> over a purely IP network has not been tested in court,  however if IPP
were
> to gateway [redirect in IPP terms] with RFC 2305 and the IPP transaction
> transverses the PSTN at any point ...then the legal requirements would
> apply.

Here is the US law code:
http://law2.house.gov
Notice item (2|A) under definitions, I believe this law at least could
definitely be applied to any IPP implementation, unless of course you don't
plan on allowing anyone outside of your local LAN to access it.  Otherwise,
as I understand it, anyone dialing in to their ISP, and printing to your IPP
printer will cause it to be covered by this law.

-CITE-
    47 USC Sec. 227                                              01/06/97

-EXPCITE-
    TITLE 47 - TELEGRAPHS, TELEPHONES, AND RADIOTELEGRAPHS
    CHAPTER 5 - WIRE OR RADIO COMMUNICATION
    SUBCHAPTER II - COMMON CARRIERS
    Part I - Common Carrier Regulation

-HEAD-
    Sec. 227. Restrictions on use of telephone equipment

-STATUTE-
    (a) Definitions
      As used in this section -
        (1) The term ''automatic telephone dialing system'' means equipment
which
       has the capacity -
          (A) to store or produce telephone numbers to be called, using a
random or
       sequential number generator; and
          (B) to dial such numbers.
*       (2) The term "telephone facsimile machine" means equipment which has
the capacity . . .
*         (A) to transcribe text or images, or both, from paper into an
electronic signal
*        and to transmit that signal over a regular telephone line, or
*         (B) to transcribe text or images (or both) from an electronic
signal received over
*        a regular telephone line onto paper.

> All fax transactions and indeed all SMTP transactions are time/date
> stamped, therefore in my judgement IPP devices should have real-time
clocks.

> Richard Shockey
> Shockey Consulting LLC
> 8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110