Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Oct 12 15:39:57 EDT 1998

Babak Jahromi wrote:

> IPP implementers,
>
> Given that there are proxies out there that may not handle HTTP 1.1
> well, we would like our IPP 1.0 client to try HTTP 1.0 first, and then
> switch to HTTP 1.1 if the first attempt fails.

Actually, shouldn't you be doing the opposite (trying 1.1 first, and
then falling back on 1.0 if the proxy rejects your 1.1 request).

> Before we implement that, I would like to get a consensus on what
> others are planning to do:
>
> 1) Are most people planning to support HTTP 1.0 also?
> 2) If not, how are you going to fail HTTP 1.0 requests?

CUPS supports HTTP 0.9, 1.0, and 1.1.  For 0.9 and 1.0 the client
*must* send the Content-Length for the IPP request.  For 1.1 we allow
chunked or "single" (Content-Length) data streams.