Carl Kugler kugler at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 12 17:21:03 EDT 1998

> Babak Jahromi wrote:
> >
> > > 1) Are most people planning to support HTTP 1.0 also?
> > > 2) If not, how are you going to fail HTTP 1.0 requests?
> >
> > Even if you make a client that tries 1.0 first (which is not a decision I
> > would have made), there is no reason for a server to reject a 1.0 request
> > if it supports 1.1.

I think the preferred HTTP way is to start out with an HTTP OPTIONS request to a recipient whose version is unknown:

       OPTIONS * HTTP/1.1

>The OPTIONS method represents a request for information about the communication options available on the request/response chain identified by the Request-URI. This method allows the client to determine the options and/or requirements associated with a resource, or the capabilities of a server, without implying a resource action or initiating a resource retrieval...

If you get a 200 (OK) response with an HTTP/1.0 version, fall back to HTTP/1.0.

If you get a 501 (Not Implemented) response you could try HEAD, which is a mandatory method.

If you get a 505 (HTTP Version Not Supported) response you could fall back to HTTP/0.x (this error code applies to the Major version number).

> Paul Moore wrote:
>
> > but if it only supports 1.1  (an allowed thing to do) what will the reject
> > of 1.0 look like?
>
> You could send 'Version Not Supported' (look up the number in the HTTP
> spec), I suppose, but that is really for rejecting a request higher than
> that implemented by the server.  Any 1.1 server should be able to handle
> any 1.0 request - there would be no reason to reject it.

See

Network Working Group                                        J. C. Mogul
Request for Comments: 2145                                           DEC
Category: Informational                                      R. Fielding
                                                               UC Irvine
                                                               J. Gettys
                                                                     DEC
                                                              H. Frystyk