IPP> MOD -(vote clarification) NLO 3 of 4: Vote to simplify Get-Jobs

IPP> MOD -(vote clarification) NLO 3 of 4: Vote to simplify Get-Jobs

Robert Herriot robert.herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Wed Oct 28 21:02:06 EST 1998

Re: elimination of the paragraph defined below (from Section 3.2.6.2 of
Get-Jobs
Response) so that attributes-natural-language is no longer used as a
language override in a Get-Jobs response.

In today's teleconference, we decided that we could not make a well informed
decision on this issue without test results from the IPP implementations. Xerox
hopes to have a test suite by next week that we can use to test this feature.

We can eliminate the feature from IPP 1.0 if

      a) test results show that no implementation supports the feature, or if
      b) the implementors of those implementations that support the feature are

          willing to eliminate the feature.

If some implementations must continue to support this feature, then a
fallback is to change the "MUST" in the paragraph below to a "MAY" for IPP
1.0.  Then servers are allowed to omit support of this feature, but clients
must be able to process Get-Jobs responses with this feature. This change
does not invalidate any implementations that follow the June 30 specs.
However, it does change the intent, and becomes the first step in deprecating
this feature

-----------------------

Currently, Section 3.2.6.2 Get-Jobs Response contains the following
paragraph:

For any job submitted in a different natural language than
the natural language that the Printer object is returning in the
"attributes-natural-language" operation attribute in the Get-Jobs response,
the Printer MUST indicate the submitted natural language by returning the
Job object's "attributes-natural-language" as the first Job object
attribute, which overrides the "attributes-natural-language" operation
attribute value being returned by the Printer object. If any returned
'text' or 'name' attribute includes a Natural Language Override as described
in the sections 4.1.1.2 and 4.1.2.2, the Natural Language Override overrides
the Job object's "attributes-natural-language" value and/or the
"attributes-natural-language" operation attribute value.