Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Oct 29 13:17:54 EST 1998

One problem with this clarification is that if an implementation starts to
return nameWithLanguage, but the client doesn't support accepting that form,
since it never generates that form, there will be a lack of
interoperability.

I've talked to several implementers who are reluctant to take advantage of
this clarification for fear the some clients will not be able to accept the
nameWIthLanguage form.

For example, the client supplies the "job-name" operation attribute using
nameWithoutLanguage, but the implementation returns it using
nameWIthLanguage.  If the client just blindly displays the value, it will be
corrupted, since the value has two binary numbers and the natural language
as well as the actual job name text.

Because we don't have a test tool that tests clients, we can verify that the
clients will be able to accept nameWithLanguage on any attribute whose
attribute syntax is 'name'.

Even if the client only supports one natural language, it could test itself
with an IPP object that is configured for a different natural language,
because then that IPP object would be forced into returning
nameWIthLanguage.  Of course, if all implementations are only supporting
en-us, then even that test is impossible.

So before implementations start taking advantage of this proposed
clarification, we need to verify that clients are conforming by supporting
accepting in a response:

1.  BOTH the nameWithoutLanguage and the nameWithLanguage forms for 'name'
attributes
2.  BOTH the textWithoutLanguage and the textWithLanguage forms for 'text'
attributes

Tom