Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Nov 4 05:24:27 EST 1998

Only for the practical reason that shipping a server/printer product that
breaks a large number of deployed clients, isn't a healthy strategy.  If
everyone agrees to make sure their clients are conforming, then there is no
problem.

Unfortunately, we don't have a good test system for clients, as Paul Moore
as pointed out.  We have been developing tests for server/printers.
However, the scripts that we are in the final stages of debugging
(currently, one bug remaining in the script, one in the test system, and one
in the implementation that we are testing against) could be used to test a
client.  By running the script, it submits 3 different jobs in 3 different
languages to a June 30 compliant server.  Then the client that you wanted to
test could be asked to query the jobs on that printer and see if the client
breaks or not.

Tom