Hugo Parra HPARRA at novell.com
Fri Nov 6 13:45:59 EST 1998

The vote in Savanah was restricted to accepting changes to the spec that clarified the text without breaking interoperability with the June 30th spec.  The only reason we tried to stay interoperable with the June 30th docs is to upheld the premature vote we took in Monterrey.  Novell would have voted to fix the spec even if it meant breaking the June 30th spec but that wasn't even an option (nor was anyone willing to consider it).

Should there be a formal process to override a former vote?  It exists in other voting entities.  I'm not sure am 100% in favor of it.

-Hugo

>>> Paul Moore <paulmo at microsoft.com> 11/06/98 11:35AM >>>
Hindsight is a wonderful thing (BTW it was Savanahh not Monterey where we
finally really voted on the spec). We all had a vote, including Novell.
Several people said - whoa, we havent tested localization, we havent tested
security. Despite that the vote was unanimous (one abstention that was later
change to yes). People have taken product decisions based on that vote.

What are you proposing - that the formally defined and agreed PWG voting
process is not really binding and that we can all change our mind later. It
may or may not have been a good result - but it was the result.

We could have another vote undoing the previous one. Why not put that
forward as a motion in Tuscon.