IPP> MOD> Issue 1.19 [REVISITED - charset

Carl Kugler kugler at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 9 17:49:41 EST 1998

Hugo-

I think you've unintentionally validated papowell's point with your example!  You seem to have forgotten about name-length and attribute-name.  Bytes 11 and 12 really should be the length of the name of the attribute, not the length of the attribute value.

Too bad we can't simplify all this somehow.  All IPP objects MUST support UTF-8.  Maybe we could require all clients to accept UTF-8 in error responses (they could always ignore text strings in the response if they don't really understand UTF-8).  The model document already recommends that clients pretend to support UTF-8 for other reasons.

   -Carl

"The price of reliability is the pursuit of utmost simplicity." --C.A.R. Hoare

-----
See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/ipp/?start=4850