Carl Kugler kugler at us.ibm.com
Mon Dec 14 18:06:26 EST 1998

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Carl Kugler wrote:
> > for user confirmation. The automatic retry SHOULD NOT be repeated if
> > the second sequence of requests fails.
> >
> > I would think that IPP POSTs, in general, are non-idempotent, which
> > would imply that they should not be automatically retried (in
> > general).
>
> I'm not disagreeing with you here; my point is that our IPP servers
> must be able to handle broken or limited clients, and that we need
> to make sure that the *reason* a POST failed is clear to the client.
> [because the convention network printer "wisdom" is to retry until
> you know the printer won't take the job]
>
> I'm not sure what the current implementer's guide says, but our CUPS
> client software will do the following:
>
>     1. If the connection is refused, retry at regular intervals
>        until it can be established.
>
>     2. If the connection is terminated during a request without a
>        response then the server has a permanent error with this
>        job.
>
>     3. If the server sends a premature response, close the
>        connection to the server and handle the error status as
>        needed.

I'm not sure what you mean by "premature response", but the client certainly needs to be prepared to accept responses prior to completion of transmission of the request.  IPP recommends sending a response (failure OR success) as soon the request attributes have been processed (without waiting for document data).

Also "[An HTTP/1.1] client MUST be prepared to accept one or more 1xx status responses prior to a regular response, even if the client does not expect a 100 (Continue) status message."

-----
See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/ipp/?start=4971