IPP> MOD - Outside the box resolution for the two URIs

IPP> MOD - Outside the box resolution for the two URIs

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Tue Jan 6 19:10:21 EST 1998

I have a concern about the proposal for printer-uri-supported.

In our current model, there are at most 2 URIs, one for HTTP and the
other for HTTPS. With my proposed printer-alt-uri, the client knows
that it can access the URI specified by printer-alt-uri via the
alternate mechanism, e.g. TLS if the client obtained the URI via HTTP.

With the new more general mechanism that you are suggesting, a printer
could have many URIs, but a client has no way to determine what
mechanism should be used for each member of the printer-uri-supported.
So this is an incomplete mechanism which I don't suggest we complete at
this stage. In addition, for the current HTTP/HTTPS model, the client
must determine the alternate printer URI by finding the URI not equal
to the one it knows about. This is more difficult than getting the value of
printer-alt-uri.

So, printer-uri-supported is certainly the more general solution and
it may be better in the future if we add another attribute to
indicate the mechanism associated with the URI.  But, in the context
of version 1.0, it just adds complexity.

Bob Herriot