Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Jan 8 10:35:58 EST 1998

I suggest adding Bob's comments in answer to Randy's comment on case f
as a Note in Section 8.3.  Randy said that case f would take a lot
explanation.  I think that Bob's explanation as a note is just the
explanation that is needed.

Tom

At 12:52 12/17/1997 PST, Robert Herriot wrote:

>> From rturner at sharplabs.com Wed Dec 17 00:38:33 1997
>>
>> See my comments on the new proposed
>> text below...
>>
>> Randy
>>

>> Robert Herriot wrote:

snip...

>> >         f)  the authentication mechanism specifies a user which is
special and
>> >         means that the value of the requesting-user-name, which must be
>> >         present, is treated as the authenticated name.
>>
>> I do not think scenario (f) should be included
>> in this list. It sounds like a real niche
>> case that might take alot of text to explain
>> why this is needed.
>
>Case f) is intended for a tightly coupled gateway and server to work
>together so that the "user" name is that of the gateway's client and
>not that of the gateway.  Because most if not all system vendors will
>initially implement IPP via a gateway into their existing print system,
>this mechansism is necessary unless the authentication mechanism allows
>a gateway (client) to act on behalf of some other client.

So I suggest adding Bob's explanation as a note as part of case f (changing
"is" to "is able to be":

         Note:  Case f) is intended for a tightly coupled gateway and
         server to work together so that the "user" name is able to be