IPP> Delay of IPP ratification

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Jan 9 18:02:40 EST 1998

At 10:21 AM 1/9/98 PST, Paul Moore wrote:

>This is a formal request that we delay the finalization of the IPP spec
>until we have looked at the possibility of using XML as the protocol format.
>
>I know this is revisiting an old issue but we need to make sure we do the
>right thing. When the current format was proposed there was no good method
>for representing structured data in an ASCII data stream. XML is now
>available and seem to be the coming wave. I also know that most of the new
>standards that will come out over the next year will be based around XML
>(and protocol specific HTTP commands). By ensuring that we are in the centre
>of these standards we will be able to leverage many common tools that will
>emerge to support and manage these protocols.
>
>There will definitely be down-sides so we need to debate this issue - not
>least the investment that some of us have already made in building using the
>current spec.
>
>I think that somebody from MS will be in Hawaii.
>
>Paul Moore

Paul,

This kind of thing should not really happen. We have been through all our
formal steps to get agreements within the IPP WG and seemed to have full
agreement up to this message.

Having said that, we certainly also do not want to end up with people
implementing different flavours of IPP that do not interoperate, or we have
missed our goal as a standards group.

If we were to even consider looking at an alternative proposal at this 12th
hour in the project, I expect to see some dedicated resource commitment
from MS experts to rapidly come up with a detailed proposal on how all the
current protocol functions could be expressed in the alternative proposal.
Are you prepared to make such a commitment, or else we close the discussion
right here? I think that a first draft from you within the next two weeks
would be expected.

I will wait a couple of days to allow people on the DL to respond to your
message and then take it from there.

I urge the members of the DL to come back with your views on this subject
ASAP.

Regards,

Carl-Uno Manros

In my role as IPP Co-chair

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com