IPP> Delay of IPP ratification

Carl-Uno Manros carl at manros.com
Sat Jan 10 12:47:04 EST 1998

At 02:53 PM 1/9/98 -0800, Josh Cohen wrote:
>I think that the current IPP does not adequately address
>security concerns, and that the landscape wrt XML has
>changed such that it should be reconsidered.

Josh,

You are basing all your reasoning around the firewall issue.
Are you aware that we actually also specifiy the use of
TLS for people who want to secure their printers? This is
REAL security compared to firewalls.

Also, your reasoning seems to be based on the assumption that
everything runs over a common Web server that supports both
Web services and printing. I think that you will find that
IPP print servers and embedded IPP servers in printers
will more commonly have their own dedicated HTTP servers,
which makes it easy for a firewall to filter them. We have
been over these issues in detail for the past year. Don't
think that you are coming along telling us something new.

Hence, I think you need to widen your horizons quite a lot,
rather than concentrating all your thinking around your
own favorite NT scenario.

Carl-Uno