Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Jan 22 16:55:40 EST 1998

Minutes from PWG IPP Phone Confeence - 980121

For a start these are not really minutes, but tries to capture some of the
pre-discussion for the main discussion of Paul Moore's proposal to be
presented at the PWG IPP meeting next week.

Attending:	Paul Moore
		Josh Cohen
		Xavier Riley
		Peter Zehler
		Lee Farrell
		Carl Kugler
		Steve Gebert
		Tom Hastings
		Carl-Uno Manros
		Ira Mcdonald
		Jay Martin
		Bob Herriot
		Ron Bergman
		Scott Isaacson
		Swen Johnson

Most of the discussion was a series of questions to Paul and Josh about
their upcoming proposal. This included a number of questions such as:

- Extra overhead of XML in comparison to current solution?
- Stability of XML?
- Will XML DTDs be used? If so, on what level? How generic?
- Will XML be able to do more or less than our current solution?
- What advantages would extra HTTP method(s) bring?
- Will the new proposal be detailed and specific enough to make a comparison?
- What are the disadvantages compared to our current solution?
- How much extra time will it take to finalize the IPP specs if we have to
re-write the protocol specification?

-

Paul and Josh assured everybody that they will make their utmost to get a
good proposal together for discussion next week, including rationales for
the choices in the proposal and compared to our current solution.

The proposal text and any presentation material will be made to the IPP DL
the day before the face-to-face meeting on January 28th, so that people who
will join the discussion over the phone conference (see separate message)
have a chance to read up on it beforehand.

----

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com