IPP> Microsoft Presentation

Wagner, William WWagner at digprod.com
Wed Jan 28 11:11:56 EST 1998

Gentlemen,

I fully agree with Roger Debry's observations. The IPP started out with
a very aggressive schedule, but did sacrifice that schedule to ensure
that the approach was technically sound and that the concerns of all
participants were heard. Indeed, the representatives of Microsoft were
concerned with the delays that such considerations  imposed.

There is no compelling information in the new Microsoft presentation
that suggests that the working group has not properly addressed its
objectives and charter or that what has been developed will not work
effectively. I would suggest that, looking from an embedded server point
of view, which I believe will be the primary implementation mode, the
proposed changes would  complicate the implementation.

I would also observe increasing apprehension that the IPP will get
bogged down in standardsitis.  I see the re-emergence of alternate
internet printing schemes. Indeed, I now am starting to regret that I
discouraged several such schemes. I think that this challenge to the IPP
may delay the deployment to such an extent that it will be fatal.

Enjoy Hawaii !
W. A. Wagner (Bill Wagner)
OSICOM/DPI