IPP> Notifications

Turner, Randy rturner at sharplabs.com
Tue Feb 3 16:29:20 EST 1998

I remember we talked about maintaining persistent connections to the
server during job processing, as well as possibly having the clients
allocate a socket to receive UDP or TCP - based notifications from a
server.  And on your last statement, I disagree that we have a
device-level protocol; Most IPP servers, including your own, will be
implemented on server-based systems, detached from the actual physical
printer. Its possible that some server-based implementations might not
have device-level access or at least accurate realtime access to device
status.

Nonetheless, I would like to see further discussion on this topic via
the mailing list. I personally favor something along the lines of a UDP
message sent to a client socket from the server which includes some type
of encapsulated notification message.

Randy