IPP> Re: Locating printers in LDAP

Scott Isaacson SISAACSON at novell.com
Fri Feb 6 11:25:06 EST 1998

All,

Yes, the IPP work anticpates the use of directories.  In fact we used to =
have a separate I-D on a proposed generic directory schema for "Printer".  =
This was informed from many inputs -  X.500, OS/2, ISO DPA, SNMP Printer =
MIB, NDS, NDPS, etc.  However, we pulled that I-D into the latest IPP =
Model and Semantics document "ftp://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp=
-model-09.txt" as an appendix.

At the original BOF for IPP we presented a proposed schema for Printers =
and suggested as part of the WG charter that we could define an LDAP =
specific realization of that schema.  However, that was shot down and =
specifically excluded from out charter.  Now that we have completed the =
work items for IPP/1.0, the WG should consider drafting an LDAP schema =
document.

The SLP WG has an I-D called  "ftp://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sv=
rloc-printer-scheme-01.txt" that defines a schema for Printers for SLP.   =
That documents shows attributes taken from the MIB, IPP, and Salutations.

Also note, the SLP I-D on "ftp://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-svrloc=
-template-conversion-02.txt"  So that one can translate between an LDAP =
schema and an SLP schema.

The strategy in the IPP group, was to take a strict subset of the more =
static and useful Printer object attributes (useful for end-user search =
filters) to define the directory entry schema.

Net-net:  The bulk of the work has been done, now we just need the final =
step to formally gen the LDAP schema and I believe the WG is ready for =
this now.

Scott A. Isaacson
Corporate Architect
Novell Inc., M/S PRV-C-121=20
122 E 1700 S, Provo, UT 84606
voice: (801) 861-7366, (800) 453-1267 x17366
fax: (801) 861-2517
email: sisaacson at novell.com
web: http://www.novell.com

>>> Ed Reed 02/05 9:46 PM >>>
Let's see if the ipp group have any plans - I know that it anticipates
usage of directories...Scott?

Ed

-------------------
Ed Reed, Chief Architect
Network Services Group
Novell, Inc.
+1 801 861 3320

>>> Luke Howard <lhoward at apple.com> 02/05/98 07:17PM >>>

Are there any proposed schema for representing printers (for
lpr and/or IPP) in LDAP? I recall reading a draft several
months ago (I think it was from IBM) but I can't seem to find
anything on the web.

-- Luke

--
        Luke Howard - lhoward at apple.com - +1 (408) 974-7562
    Apple Computer, Inc. - Rhapsody Core Operating Systems Group