Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Mon Feb 9 18:42:57 EST 1998

If either,

>My primary division ('this thing' and 'the other thing') is -
>- client/app talking to printing subsystem (thing #1)
>- printing subsystem talking to printing device (thing #2).

Which would you charactize IPP as, today.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

paulmo at microsoft.com on 02/09/98 03:24:52 PM
Please respond to paulmo at microsoft.com @ internet
To: ipp at pwg.org @ internet, Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM at ibmus
cc:
Subject: RE: IPP> Submission vs. Monitoring and Management

My primary division ('this thing' and 'the other thing') is -
- client/app talking to printing subsystem (thing #1)
- printing subsystem talking to printing device (thing #2).

It is not a submission/end-user vs. admin/managment. Bits of these issu=
es
live in both of the interfaces above.

Note that I am not necessarily talking about 3 separate boxes, merely t=
hree
separate logical entities.

I beleive that any printing model that refuses to recognized the existe=
nce
of printer servers or other software other than the client app is bound=
ultimately break down.

Note also that we should not confuse end-user experience with protocols=