Turner, Randy rturner at sharplabs.com
Wed Feb 11 11:22:39 EST 1998

I'm wondering if a new mapping document for IPP directly over TCP/IP (no
HTTP) would be one way to attack this lighter weight host-to-device
printing protocol?

I think our model document stands as a way to do printing, over
internets and intranets. We have taken a lot of strides to make sure
that the model document was transport-independent.

What I would like to avoid is producing yet another printing protocol
(YAPP).

Considering that the number of mandatory stuff in IPP is pretty light,
it seems like taking this minimal IPP capability and using just TCP/IP
as a transport would be a good first strike against this
"host-to-device" protocol.

Also, concerning the notification problem, my earlier proposal (using
lightweight, acknowledged datagrams) would be
mapping-document-independent and would be "the" way to do notifications
regardless of mapping document. Of course this assumes that all
potential mapping documents would share a common TCP/IP transport
somewhere in their design.

Just my $0.02

Randy