Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Mar 23 19:30:47 EST 1999

Anthony Porter's issue about time and suggestions are relevant to ISSUE 17
that was brought up at the IPP BakeOff 2 the week before last and that I
just published yesterday.  Please consider and comment on these alternatives
as well as the ones that Anthony Porter has suggested.

Thanks,
Tom

17)  ISSUE:  Client display of absolute time for job attributes?

What are clients doing with printers that don't support absolute time?
How can client display an absolute time that a job was submitted,
started processing, and completed (which is what is useful for a user)?

Possible Solution

Get Uptime from printer ("printer-up-time" - time system has been up in
seconds)

Get Job(s)

Calculate Display time = job tick time ("time-at-xxx" - in seconds that
system has been up) . uptime ("printer-up-time") + local client absolute
time.   The down side is that the client has to get the "printer-up-
time" every time with a separate Get-Printer-Attributes operation.

Alternatively:  Add OPTIONAL job attributes: .date-time-at-creation
(dateTime)., .date-time-at-processing (dateTime)., and .date-time-at-
completion (dateTime).

(Issue submitted by Microsoft)

Possible alternatives:

Clarify that the "time-at-xxx" attributes can be negative if an IPP
Printer is re-booted while jobs remain.

1.Add to the IPP/1.1 Model and Semantics document OPTIONAL job
  description attributes: .date-time-at-creation (dateTime)., .date-
  time-at-processing (dateTime)., and .date-time-at-completion
  (dateTime)..

2.Return "printer-up-time" (in seconds) as an operation attribute in
  Get-Jobs and Get-Job-Attributes response.

3.Make the "printer-up-time" Printer Description attribute also be a
  Job Description attribute.  Clients that request the "time-at-xxx"
  job attributes should also request the "printer-up-time" job
  attribute, so that they can avoid requesting it using a separate Get-
  Printer-Attributes request.