Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Apr 27 15:00:29 EDT 1999

"Hastings, Tom N" wrote:
> In other words, the time zone offset that comes back when a client
> queries the "printer-current-time" SHOULD/MUST be the local time of
> the printer.

And if the site uses ZULU for all time (e.g. all military
installations and some government installations?), what then?

Also, I'm not sure what is available to get the local timezone from
a NTP server, or if a printer vendor would have to add a control
panel/configuration option to set the timezone manually...

> The time zone in this value SHOULD be the time zone of the Printer
> object or device.  Then the client can use this attribute to
> determine the time zone of the printer, even though clients SHOULD
> display any dateTime attributes to users using the time zone of the
> client.

I would drop the "to determine the time zone of the printer" from
the spec, if for no other reason that it might temp some client
implementations from treating all time values as local instead of
using the time zone offset value as well.

> Ok to make this a SHOULD, instead of a MUST?

I think you have to make this a SHOULD.  The timezone offset in the
date/time field is there for a reason, and there are some sites that
deal exclusively in ZULU time.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com