Ira McDonald imcdonal at sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Mon Jul 26 21:08:28 EDT 1999

Hi Tom,

I think your two new operations are interesting ideas, but they really
do collide (on further reflection) with security access control policies.
Who do they prevent from exercising the 'disabled' operations?  (If
the answer was everyone, including operators, then the new operations
are useless.  If the answer is 'end-users', then they DEFINITELY
collide with separate access control lists and role models which
may prevail in the customer's installed network environment.)

And I don't agree that Shutdown has no relationship to 'power-save'
mode.  There are Xerox printers that support switching to 'power-save'
mode by remote management command.  I *could* agree to a new operation
or two like 'PowerSavePrinter' and 'WarmUpPrinter'.  Warming up a
printing by remote management script (say at 8am every weekday) is
a useful application.

Lastly, for what it's worth many network products support two
levels of power saving - one that wakes up fast and one that
takes (perhaps) several minutes to wake up.  Several Xerox
printers do so.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc