IPP> Some Instant Messaging resources

harryl at us.ibm.com harryl at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 28 15:12:42 EDT 1999

I've been vying to include "Instant Messaging" as one of the IPP notification
delivery types for several months. We seem to readily accept e-mail but shy away
from accepting instant messaging. At the IPP call, today, some people asked that
I circulate some references... here they are.

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/impp-charter.html (The official IETF charter
etc. for instant messaging)
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-impp-reqts-01.txt (An IETF
requirements draft that encompasses notification)
http://webreview.com/wr/pub/97/06/20/feature/index6.html (Review of commercial -
free - implementations)

These are just a few. Maybe not even the best links.

Point is... if you think e-mail has a place in print job notifications (I'm not
saying it doesn't)... then you should agree that IM is even a more custom fit.

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems
harryl at us.ibm.com